Non-Player Characters (NPCs) are characters that are part of the game. They may give you rumours, hints, quests, sell you items, or just add content to the game. The game mechanics allow you to talk to NPCs via dialogue options. This means you can choose from a limited number of responses or actions. The NPCs' responses are also programmed, and sometimes depend on things such as your class, quests you are on or have completed, etc.
Following is a list of the NPCs in the game, sorted by location. Shopkeepers, trainers and temple followers are excluded from the list, unless they offer special content or dialogue as well.
- The Town Crier greets and provides basic game information to new heroes. The hero will not meet him again afterward, but the dialog is available here.
- Royal Advisor
- The Royal Advisor resides at the palace. When asked for advice, he says "Umm.. eat lots of carrots. Exercise regularly. Move your bowels at least once a day. And don't step on Troll dung."
- Thorgrim Doomhammer, the Dwarven Blacksmith, is reputed by the Map Maker of Mayhew to be the "best there is". He is now largely retired and works only on commission. He gives the player two quests, the first of which is the Longsword of True Valour Quest.
- The Royal Rat-Catcher works in the sewers to keep the rats at bay. His colleague is the Royal Pig-Catcher.
- Found in the Tavern, the Elderly man is seeking an item on travel in the Great Plains.
- This is a Construction Gnome that has been demoted to cleaning the Statue of TaleSpinner the Mildly Insane in Valmorgen. His main activity seems keeping the pigeons at bay....
- The Gnomish Stump sings carols during Christmas and the New Year,
- The Hopebringer greeted heroes after the game reset in 2006 and again in 2010.
- The Chaos Bringer appeared in the City Square on May 2006 to celebrate the New Chaos Festival
- The Doomsayer briefly appeared in Valmorgen heralding the 2006 reset, and later the 2010 reset, and was replaced by the Hopebringer.
- Ducal adviser
- The Ducal adviser can be found sleeping at the Mayhew keep, where he is supposed to advise the Duke in governance affairs. Upon conversation, the adviser reveals that the Duke had long gone to visit the Elven Lounge, where where he never returned to resumed his duties. The adviser also reveals that the city is now under the de factor rule by merchants and Elves.
- The Goblin Chief is the leader of the goblins residing in Mayhew. In the Stop the Ratman Raids quest, the chief reveals that his tribe are in Mayhew under fairly lucrative employment of the Elves.
- Goblin Rebel
- The Goblin Rebel is part of a dissenting faction of the Goblins in Mayhew. Both the Merchants and Elves are either purposely or inadvertently involved with the rebels. (see: Grease Some Goblin Palm). When playing the quests for the Elves, the player will hear that the rebel faction has ran off, along with the "goblin chest".
- The map maker is retired ranger who makes his living off of cartography. He introduces the player to his friend, the Dwarven Blacksmith in Valmorgen.
- Quellyn Tinklerain
- Quellyn is an elven leader for whom the player may find employment. He constantly strives to get the better of the elves' rivals, the Merchants. He is described as "reputed to have his hands in just about every dirty little anti-Merchant scheme in Mayhew."
- Merchants Guild Manager
- The merchant counterpart to Quellyn, the Manager leads his men in the conflict against the elves. Players who prefer to work in favor of the merchants against the Elves should seek him in Mayhew.
- The Witch is encountered at the Dark Alley. She claims to be the one who makes charms which an associate sells at the magic bazaar. The Witch provides information on the whereabouts of the Gnome Apprentice's amulets and shows the access to the sewers in Lormidia.
- Dwarven Engineer
- The Dwarven Engineer, located at the Magic Bazaar, offers training in craftsmanship.
- Charming Charms Oculus
- This talking Oculus who occupies the Charming Charms in the Magic Bazaar is a "spokesperson" for a certain someone that makes magical Charms.
- The proprietor of Ezzina's Elixir Expo that only sells one item, the potent Total Restoration Tincture.
- The Farseer
- The farseer resides in Lormidia and carries a pet Lobster. He offers maps to passes in the Hellfire Mountains.
- Gnome Apprentice
- The apprentice, at the Gnome Hovel, is featured in the Amulet of the Apprentice quest. She seeks her lost amulet of coal summoning so she can be "the Gnome Mystic's Sub-Apprentice's Sub-Sub-Apprentice's Apprentice".
- Reorak the Tall
- Reorak the Tall is the Huntmaster at the Hall of Champions. He seeks to enlist heroes on Monster Hunts.
- The Barkeep operates Lormidia's "Screaming Heroes Inn." He is adamant in serving drinks to visitors.
- High Sorcerer
- The High Sorcerer of Ardania is a pompous sorcerer who resides in Lormidia's Sorcerer's abode. He offers to cast his gate spell for a fee but doesn't hesitate to cast "Change of Hearts" upon those who fail to address him with respect.
- Old man in the Institute of Royal Timekeepers
- An old man who sits behind the a desk that beckons you to talk to him. Anyone who talks and demands more Turns with him will be dumped into the Timekeepers' basement. Though annoying, it is the only way to complete the Tempus Fugit Quest.
- Distraught Character
- The Distraught Character is featured in the Tempus Fugit Quest. She seeks to find her sundial missing in the Timekeepers' basement.
- Eccentric Wizard
- The Eccentric Wizard is featured in the Ascend the Wizard's Tower Quest.
- Descendant of the great wizard Rezzenthel, the Alchemist is eager to sell his services to visiting heroes.
- The Socket Carver offers to socket items for a price
- The Gossiping women have something to say about everything. Heroes may find their rumors to be of value.
- Crazy Myron can be found at the graveyard where he wanders around with his collection of holy water.
- Chicken Farmer
- The Chicken Farmer owns the Howling Moon Varg Farm on the plains where he sells "chickens" to heroes passing by.
- The Innkeeper is also a skilled craftsman who offers to train heroes in craftsmanship.
- Swamp Hermit
- The swamp hermit is a mysterious character who can be both mischievous and helpful, depending on his whims.
- Elven travelers can be found in the mountains seeking an escort. Heroes who stumble upon them can be led to the hidden valley of the elves.
- The Elven Barmaid greets new heroes arriving at the Elven Village. She speaks about the history of her tribe in the hidden valley.
- Francois is a former ranger who sells maps at the Trading Post in Traveller's Dell
- Veteran Guard
- The Guard at Traveller's Dell tells of elves who gave him a mighty spear.
- Arex is the ferryman who takes heroes between Mayhew and Lormidia.
- Gives the hero quests and as reward offers mighty potions.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Non-Player Characters"
The following 22 pages are in this category, out of 22 total.