Abilities are skill sets that heroes can learn and develop. Certain abilities cannot be learned by all heroes. The abilities in Heroes of Ardania are listed below. These abilities are also applicable to creatures and monsters.
- All Classes. Learned automatically or at Wizards Guild
Spell casting allows heroes to cast spells in combat provided that a spell is readied for combat. Since spells are very important for combat purposes, this ability is crucial to the success of the hero.
Obtaining this ability
- Begin with the ability: Hero classes that start out in level 1 with one or more spell in the spell book already have this ability. (Cultist, Healer, Monk, Priest, Wizard)
- Automatically at certain level: Some hero classes automatically learn spellcasting upon reaching a certain level (either level 3 or 4) during which a new spell is automatically earned. (Adept, Paladin, Solarus)
- Learn at the Wizards Guild: The rest of the classes may learn spellcasting at the wizards guild for 1000 gold. In order to learn spellcasting, the hero must have an intelligence of 11 or higher. Those who do not have 11 intelligence must first train their intelligence at the Valmorgen library.
- All Classes. Trained at the Heros' Rest Inn (Central Plains) or Dwarven Blacksmith (Magic Bazaar in Lormidia)
Craftsmanship determines how proficient a hero is at schematics purchased from Valmorgan's library. A craftsmanship of at least 1% is required to purchase schematics. The level of craftsmanship relates to the chances of having a hero successfully carry out the schematic's instructions. Success in using the schematic occurs if the value of [ Craftsmanship + (Intelligence / 2) - Random(1-20) ] is greater than the difficulty of the schematic x 3. Therefore, it is advisable that heroes train their craftsmanship to a sufficiently high level to guarantee success in using high-level schematics.
Obtaining this ability
- Trained at the Heros' Rest Inn (Central Plains) - maximum: 20%
- Trained at the Dwarven Blacksmith (Magic Bazaar in Lormidia) - maximum: 40%
- All Classes. Trained at the Rogues Guild
Stealing allows heroes to steal items from shops. This skill is very valuable in the early game when gold is low. Unfortunately, only rogues and elves begin with this ability. Increasing one's stealing ability level increases the chances of successfully stealing from a shop, although certain shops such as Fletchers R Us are seemingly impossible to steal from.
- Monks, Barbarian, Warriors of Discord only
The Critical Hit ability determines the percentage chance of landing a critical hit if the hit is successful. The amount of damage done by a critical hit is determined by the critical hit resistance of the opponent. (see below)
Inreasing Critical Hit
- Barbarians: +1% every level
- Monks: +1% every 2 levels
- Warrior of Discord: +1% every 3 levels
Resist Critical Hit
- All Classes. Automatic ability
Resist critical hit determines the damage a hero takes in the event of suffering from a critical hit. The amount of damage suffered is the percent of the hero's maximum HP equal to (100% - resist critical hit). The resist critical hit value is automatically determined by the amount of armor carried by the hero: 5%*(armor value) + 10%*(enchantment). The value is thus modifying within combat if a spell modifies the armor value. A high resist critical hit value is desirable when fighting enemies with the critical hit ability, such as barbarians, warriors of discords, and monks and creatures such as Ratman Stalkers. Heroes or creatures with 0% critical hit resist die instantly by a critical hit.
- Elves only
Allows hero to perform in Inns and other locations to earn gold. This ability is useful in the beginning when gold is low. Entertaining earns more gold per turn than guard duty at the Valmorgen gates.
- Dwarf and Gnomes only
Allows hero to be employed in construction duty at the Valmorgan Palce to earn gold. This ability is useful in the beginning when gold is low. Construction earns more gold per turn than guard duty at the Valmorgen gates.
Immunity to Poison
- Dwarf, Cultist, Warriors of Discord only
Allows hero to be unaffected by poison. Heroes with this ability will take no poison damage in combat. Useful when fighting poison-armed opponents such as flesh reapers and other heroes.
- Obtained by equipping certain items such as the Golem Sledge
A weapon imbued with this ability will always inflict maximum damage.
Attack Multiple Enemies
- Warriors of Discord only (Naturally); can be obtained through items
Allows warriors of discord to attack three different opponents at once.
- Adepts only (Naturally); can be obtained through items
Allows the adept attack a single opponent two times. While only adepts can use this ability, other heroes can effectively attain double hits through other means. For example, the Rage of Krolm enchantment obtained at the Temple to Krolm, and the Greatbow of Speed both offer identically effects to the Double Attack.
- Healers and Cultists only
Allows the hero to plant herbs for experience.
- Rangers and Rogues only
Allows the hero to harvest herbs in areas such as the Trelden Wood. Harvested herbs can be brewed into useful items by the alchemist located in Lichfield Hollow.
- Rogues only
Allows the rogue to gain gold by looting gravestones.
- Healers only
Allows the healer to be instantly resurrected after dying. The number of rebirths is dependent on the level.
Journey to Distant Lands
- Rangers only
Allows rangers to travel certain areas such as the Darkmoor Swamp and Goblin Territory with ease.