Obtaining the quest
- Dialogue when obtaining the quest
- "Someone wants to leave the city without doing the trial of Venn's Spire, do we now?"
- "There is a secret tunnel network of the Ratmen leading from Valmorgen to Mayhew deep inside the Ratman Kingdom. It's not big enough to allow humans to pass through the entrance though, just Ratmen."
- "In order to be able to pass you need to blow open the opening with explosives. Of course, enlarging the entrance like that will allow more Ratmen to enter Valmorgen, including their Ratapult they tried getting here."
- "A Ratapult is a magical device of mass destruction. I would advise you to use Anti-Magic Gems in battling it. Once the Ratapult is defeated I will tell you how to leave Valmorgen through the Ratmen sewers and skip the Trial to go to Mayhew. From there you should be able to buy a few maps to proceed your adventure."
- "Problem is that I have no idea exactly where the entrance is to the tunnels. You need to find a few patrols in the Lower Sewers, similar to the ones you defeated here, who might hold information regarding it's exact position. Return to me once you have a few of their maps."
- "I don't have to mention opening the tunnels is extremely dangerous, and I wouldn't have suggested it if I think you wouldn't be able to defeat the Ratapult. In the end keeping it intact so close to Valmorgen is more dangerous than the additional Ratmen that would come here with a blown open tunnel opening."
- "Good luck!"
- Journal entry
- You have met the Royal Ratcatcher in the lower sewers. He asked you to kill 3 Ratman patrols in that area to uncover a Ratman plot.
Explore the Lower Sewers and find the three patrol groups (5 Ratmen each). They will each provide you a Quickly Scribbled Note, which you should return to the Royal Rat-Catcher. Upon giving him the third note, he will chatter on a bit more. "That is it. You see this spot on the map? That is the location from which the Ratman are digging their tunnel towards the Upper Sewers. If you block it in the Lower Sewers they can no longer use it to transport their troops, and you will have an easier time attacking it at the entrance in the Ratman Kingdom. Good luck with the assault. Here, you might need this." He also gives you 2 Healing Potions and 2 Pickaxes.
You now have a choice: You can explore the Lower Sewers to find and destroy the reinforcement tunnel (6 Ratmen and 3 Ratmen Champions) and then go on to destroy the main tunnel in the Ratman Kingdom (6 Ratmen, 4 Ratman Champions, 2 Ratman Shamans), or you can skip the Lower Sewers and go straight to destroy the main tunnel in the Ratman Kingdom, but then you will face a much more formidable force (10 Ratmen, 8 Ratman Champions, 4 Ratman Shamans, and a Ratapult.) Unless you are well above the minumum level to accept this quest (level 15+, depending on class), the second method is probably suicidal, in large part due to the Ratapult hiding in the back row.
Either way, after destroying the main tunnel, return to the Royal Rat-Catcher to receive your reward.
- Dialogue upon completing quest
- "Great job on the tunnels! Now you should be able to proceed and find the construction yard and destroy it. Valmorgen will be eternally grateful for your hard work."
- "But you surely want something more than just my hollow words, no? So here, I have a more tangible reward for you. And once the construction yard is rubble, I will tell you how to escape Valmorgen."